Depending on an individual patient’s case and lifestyle, Wellness Plus Clinic doctors will call into play various forms of therapy modalities to help patients with chronic pain and inflammation. Our healthcare practitioners help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They maintain health for people of all ages, helping patients to manage pain and prevent disease, to encourage development and facilitate recovery, enabling people to stay in work while remaining independent for as long as possible.
At Wellness Plus Clinic, we take a ‘whole person’ approach to health and wellbeing, which includes the patient’s general lifestyle. At the core is the patient’s involvement in their own care, through education, awareness, empowerment and participation in their treatment. You can benefit from physiotherapy at any time in your life. Physiotherapy helps with back pain or sudden injury, managing long-term medical condition such as asthma, and in preparing for childbirth or a sporting event.
Physiotherapy could improve a range of conditions associated with different systems of the body, such as:
- Neurological (brain or spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis)
- Neuromusculoskeletal (back pain, whiplash, ligament injuries, arthritis)
- Cardiovascular (stroke, chronic heart disease)
- Respiratory (asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis)
For example, our doctors are highly skilled in supporting people with back pain. They provide advice and education on exercises for back pain, relief from backache and offer tips for back pain management. They may also offer other treatments such as manual therapy and acupuncture. Our healthcare practitioners play a key role in promoting active healthy lifestyles and preventing recurrence of injury or illness.
Your first session of physiotherapy will usually include a detailed assessment. Everything you tell our doctors will be confidential. They will ask you questions about your:
- current symptoms, including pain
- medical history
- health, fitness levels and lifestyle
Our specialists will assess how your back is working and how back pain is affecting your life. They will check your posture, watch how you move and they also may need to feel your back.
It’s a good idea to wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing to your appointment. At this first appointment our doctors will usually discuss with you achievable goals and a suitable back pain management program.
They will arrange any follow up appointments, and link closely with any other healthcare professionals who are involved in your treatment.
Wellness Plus Clinic doctors will explain how you can manage back pain, contribute to your own recovery and prevent the problem recurring. Your consultation is likely to include:
- advice about exercises for back pain to do at home, and physical activities that may help
- advice on how to improve your posture
- education on how to manage your back problem in the long term and how to prevent further problems in the future
- lifestyle advice and tips to help you manage back pain, including activities you should avoid
- manual therapy, such as joint mobilisation or manipulation
- soft tissue techniques, such as massage, for short-term back pain relief
- therapy modalities, such as electrical muscle stimulation (EMS), interferential current, therapeutic ultrasound, intersegmental traction for neck and lower back, Infrared therapy, hot/cold therapy, trigger point therapy, and TENS unit.
It may also include:
- acupuncture if your doctor thinks this might help
- nerve mobilisation if you have pain going down your leg
- advice on improving your health including weight reduction and/or smoking cessation
We will help you:
- become stronger and more flexible
- increase freedom of movement and mobility
- breathe easier
- reduce pain
- stay active
- prevent injury
Call Wellness Plus Clinic today to schedule your appointment with a physiotherapist: 404-522-5552